** This position is a regular, full-time position that is temporarily a remote position, but will be located in the Baltimore office when it is safe. **
Are you passionate about giving people safe, comfortable, and accessible options for getting where they need to go? Are you fascinated about why the U.S. transportation system is the way it is today and internally motivated to think about how we could do better? Do you enjoy working on complex multimodal projects all day every day that require cross-disciplinary perspectives, creative problem-solving, and challenging trade-off decisions? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Landscape/Urban Designer on Toole Design’s Baltimore team.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 200 planning and design professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects across the country. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of planning and designing real solutions.
As a Landscape/Urban Designer, you will develop relationships with clients, mentor others, and lead exciting and challenging projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region and nationwide. Our projects are at all different scales, from national pedestrian and bicycle planning and design guidance for the Federal Highway Administration to State DOT and City Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plans. We work on multimodal corridor studies, Vision Zero, Safe Routes to School, trails and greenways, complete streets, and Urban Street Design Guidelines and we push ourselves and our clients to proactively think about equity every step of the way.
As a Landscape/Urban Designer, you’ll be an integral part of our planning and design projects focused on creating inclusive communities and making the travel experience better for all users. As a part of our landscape architecture practice, you’ll be an integral part of team and at the table with our clients, community members, planners, and engineers on projects from start to finish; working on stakeholder outreach and design workshops, master planning, concept plans, demonstration projects, 3D modeling, illustrative graphics, and construction documents. You will help clients and the public visualize projects as well as designing things that get built.
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We’re proud that about half of our managers are women and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. No matter what your background is, we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are passionate about the design and how it informs the built environment.
• You can examine large amounts of information and data and identify, distill, and “tell the story” about the vision moving forward in a compelling way.
• You enjoy producing high-quality construction documents and seeing your projects get built
• You excel at working on a broad range of project types from beginning to end resulting in best in the industry deliverables, with attention to project budgets, and happy clients.
• You’re motivated to thrill clients and solve new challenges
• You are skilled at getting the message across, whether written, verbal, or graphically
• You can build relationships, bring enthusiasm to exciting projects, and are detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
We’ll offer you:
• The opportunity to work full time on projects that seek to create more connected, equitable transportation systems that serve all people.
• Opportunities to learn our leading-edge methods for assessing, planning, and developing transportation policies, programs and networks for communities across the Mid-Atlantic, and the rest of the country.
• Opportunities to collaborate with other landscape architects/urban designers, along with planners and traffic and civil engineers.
• Competitive salary and industry-best benefits.
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute.
• Exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal trainings, mentorship and professional associations.
What you’ll need:
• The ability to communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and partners through any medium or situation. Strong writing skills are a must.
• At least 3 years of active transportation, planning, urban design, or other related experience (consulting experience is preferred).
• At least 2 years of hands-on design experience
• A willingness to develop new techniques, lead projects in new practice areas, or oversee the use of new tools.
• A passion for pushing the boundaries of traditional landscape architecture by designing projects with an emphasis in active transportation
• The ability to present to employees, clients, agency staff, and professional organizations.
• Working knowledge of Microstation and Adobe Creative Suite are desirable.
• A professional license in Landscape Architecture or the ability to get licensed within 2 years is a plus, but is not required
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click "Apply for this Job" below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).